Thursday, February 2, 2012

My First Gun

The first gun I remember holding and using is (or was, anyway) my Grandpa's old Stevens 22/410.  I was a missionary kid in Africa, and I fell in love with that gun; I carried it with me on hunting expeditions with Dad.

And here's an attaboy for my Dad: I’d have to ask for the particulars again, but the stock cracked for some reason or another and Dad made a new one.  I remember having mixed feelings.  On the one hand, Dad made this stock, and he did a great job. On the other hand, the broken stock had been Grandpa’s.  I’ll never forget that gun.  It was well-worn, slightly pitted, and it had a sort of a reassuring smoothness to the break action when I had to reload.  I’ll never forget how powerful that gun made me feel.  It was an awesome thing.  Today's lesson: every boy needs a gun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment